Sunday, November 29, 2009

The Gathering Storm

I've been pretty busy with stuff lately, but managed to find the time to read through the latest book in the Wheel of Time series, The Gathering Storm, by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson. To put it simply, it was awesome. I'll write some more about it later, when I have more time. Probably in mid December. For now, I'll try to write a few thoughts without including major spoilers.

The big question for this book was whether it was going to feel like WoT with a new writer, since Robert Jordan died before he could complete the saga. I'm glad to say that Sanderson lived up to my expectations at least. While there are parts that don't quite feel the way I would expect RJ to write, (simple exampe: the descriptions are not quite as long-winded usually) in general the story itself felt right, and the characters felt right. As well they should, since RJ set up very extensive notes so that the story could be completed. He supposedly even wrote out a few of the major scenes himself ahead of time, most notably the final scene (or climax scene, it's not entirely clear to me).

So I think the very minor complaints I have about the book probably should be directed more at RJ than at Sanderson, and that's something I can accept.

No comments:

Post a Comment